Why Copywriting Will Always be 80% Art and 20% Science (Forever)
Raphael (1483-1520). Da Vinci (1452-1519). Michelangelo (1475-1564).
Rembrandt (1606-1669). Van Gogh (1853-1890). Picasso (1881-1973).
Cindy Sherman (b. 1954). Lui Xiadong (b. 1963). Lui Wei (b. 1965).
All famous artists…
That stretch from decade to decade…
Generation to generation…
And all living in incredibly unique time periods – some being far more ‘uncertain’ than others.
But all these artists have three things in common:
1. They believed in the “wonders” of art
2. They had a “passion” for art, and
3. They are all “famous” for their art!
But now let’s get straight down to business and the topic of this blog post that:
Copywriting is ultimately 80% Art and 20% Science (and always will be).
But what about the other 80%??
Because Copywriting without the ‘80% Art’ is nothing more than human existence without something that we all need (daily) and that is:
Us humans like to pretend we are always ‘rational’ and driven by ‘logic’ but ultimately, we are…
Emotional creatures that:
– ‘Breathe’ emotion
– ‘Feel’ emotion, and ultimately
– ‘Take action’ based on emotion!
But how on earth do you acquire the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting if:
– You are not a highly skilled copywriter with years of experience, and
– You are ‘just’ not feeling it right now on the art front!
Let’s break down the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting into 3 areas and dive straight into it…
1. Understand the Wonders of
Copywriting (like you Breathe Emotion)
Copywriting is never about…
Having all your biggest and baddest weapons ready for battle with your archrival like a monster jam-packed action ‘Terminator’ scene!
Without all the ‘cheesy’ well-worded one-liners (by a clever copywriter) in any action film there would be no:
– Laughter (although often awkward and cringeworthy)
– True engagement (a must to maintain suspense), and
– No after-movie jokes (if the movie left a memorable impression on you!).
As a Copywriter it is time to get ‘excited’ and understand that your biggest asset is:
Understanding the Power of Words (some more powerful than others).
And that is the power of words to:
– Reach (your target audience)
– Connect (with your target audience) and
– Leave a lasting impression on your target audience (with the goal of getting them to take some form of action!).
Think of the “Wonders of Copywriting” like this…
You breathe a certain amount of times…
Per hour, and
Sounds like a real chore huh?
Well we all know it’s not because we breathe effortlessly and without pain:
Now imagine suddenly that each breath you take becomes:
Now that does become one ‘big’ chore:
– Every day
– Every week, and
– Every year for the rest of your life!
Now imagine that you also find Copywriting:
One BIG CHORE.
And rather than each ‘breath’ you take it is:
– Every letter
– Every word, and
– Every piece of content that you craft is…
Not only a BIG CHORE but ‘major effort’ and ‘willpower’ that leaves you wondering:
Is Copywriting meant to be this Hard?!
And of course, the answer is ‘no’ because it only when you realise the:
– Respect, and
You can quickly build with each ‘word’ you passionately, thoughtfully and strategically type on your keyboard that you can:
Truly understand the “Wonders of Copywriting.”
Therefore, if you genuinely want to master the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting that is essential is for success…
Next time you are in a lull…
– Take one big deep breath (or three)
– Sit back (maybe taking a sip of your pina colada), and
– Relax (by taking time out to think more).
Start to appreciate copywriting more (and its true power), and
Enjoy copywriting more (what it’s all about), and
Be thankful (for the power in your hands!).
That is step 1 mastered in the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting and now let’s dive into step 2 where we talk all things passion!
2. Have a Passion for Copywriting
(like you Feel Emotion)
It is not discovered, but rather developed (read more about that here).
And when you are passionate about Copywriting it becomes a:
– Pleasurable, and
– Rewarding activity (not task!)
Task = work and when you are ‘truly passionate’ about Copywriting then you never associate copywriting with ‘work’ but rather a…
Beautiful time where:
– You are ‘absorbed’ in each moment (often with time standing still)
– You are ‘enjoying’ each moment (and really seizing it as well), and
– You are ‘having’ tons of fun (maybe too much sometimes!)
Your passion = your emotion and this is what ultimately creates…
This is the copy that makes people ‘feel emotion’ and inspires them to act in some way!
All the most famous artists (you can read a top 10 list here) live, breathe and even dream “passion” in their sleep.
Because they 100% know that “passion” = no more work and no more boring day jobs.
Passion (which is part of the ‘80% Art’ you need as a Copywriter) is what ultimately gives you:
The Winning Edge (explained here by Brian Tracy) Over all your Competition.
Because you know:
– When times are tough (you will push through with “passion”)
– When there is little money (you will push through with “passion”)
– When there is a big challenge (you will push through with “passion”).
But What if You Don’t Feel the Passion for Copywriting??
If that is the case, there is good news and bad news!
The bad news is that if you are not “passionate” as a Copywriter (and that’s say a less than 7/10 rating) then:
It is extremely difficult to succeed in Copywriting because its a key component to the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting you need to truly succeed.
The good news is that passion is developed with some work on your part and by following these great tips.
It is highly doubtful that your started Copywriting without some feeling of passion!
It far more likely that ‘somewhere’ along the way you lost your sight of the…
Real reason you got into Copywriting.
And rather than saying:
– It was different then (my dream was bigger), or
– I only know now (because never imagined it was like this)
Try to think bigger picture.
Was it because you thought you could ‘connect’ with your words?
Was it because you thought you could make a ‘difference’ with your words?
Was it because you thought you could ‘inspire’ with your words?
And really drill in and what matters and that is making a difference in people’s lives!
Remember ‘words’ matter big time in our lives and every:
– Single hour
– Single day
– Single year
We all create memories that last a lifetime and that is all through beautiful words.
That is step 2 mastered in the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting and now let’s dive into step 3 where we talk all things authority!
3. Believe You are the Authority
(like you Act on Emotion)
Belief is everything (read more about that here if interested).
And will come right out and say it…
Some Copywriters really lack “belief” and no we are not talking about the belief to:
– Get out of bed each day (and make a better life for yourself)
– Grow (and make yourself a better copywriter), and
– Succeed (and really succeed big – at some specific date in the future).
All that type of belief is ‘necessary’ and ‘common’ in most Copywriters but what about the:
Belief that “You are the Authority” in Copywriting and that is:
– Right now
– Tomorrow, and
– Every single time
That you step up to the plate and…
Go about crafting a ‘winning’ piece of copy for your Client!
Google is always looking for content that fulfills user intent (of course why it exists) and to do that you need to build:
– Respect, and
– Authority (and in that order) with your target audience.
‘Trust’ and ‘respect’ (like authority) are built up over time but it is ultimately ‘authority’ that is valued the most (like Google) by your target audience in:
Taking some form of action!
Even go back to steps 1 (understand the “Wonders of Copywriting”) and steps 2 (have a “Passion for Copywriting”) if you have to……
Do whatever you need to do as a Copywriter to acquire the 10/10 “belief” that you:
– Are an “authority” driven copywriter
– Are an “authority” in your target market, and ultimately
– Are the “go-to authority” copywriter for all Clients!
But what if you lack Copywriting skills, experience or expertise?
Because (ultimately) isn’t that what is needed to build and acquire this belief in authority??
And the answer one big NO.
Sorry to break the news to you but…
You are thinking (ala skills, experience and expertise) about the ‘20% Science’ of Copywriting again!
– Belief (can be acquired quickly – read strategies here), and
– Authority (can be acquired quicker with belief).
Isn’t the answer now to you obvious??
Authority takes ‘time’ but rather than wishing you had a time machine to quickly move forward into ‘tons’ of authority…
You simply must…
And reasonably quickly……
Acquire the belief that “You are the Authority” in Copywriting.
Again (through whatever method it takes).
Then (ultimately) rather than it being:
– Years, or
– Decades to build authority…
You will build authority each time you:
– Methodically, and
Beautifully type away at your keyboard.
And then you can get ready to jump in your time machine and watch:
Tons of Trust, Respect and ultimately Authority…
Come your way faster than you can have dreamed of.
It is only then with (with this authority) that you seamlessly achieve the goal of getting your:
Target audience to act on their emotion because…
Your copy is just oozing with ‘authority’ and they have no choice but to take…
Some form of action.
That is step 3 (and the final step) mastered in the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting and now let’s quickly wrap this blog post up!
Why Copywriting Will Always Be 80%
Art and 20% Science (Forever) Wrap-Up
Learning from the best…
In Copywriting these are all big-picture factors that matter but, it is only the:
’20% Science’ of Copywriting that sets you up to win.
As discussed in this blog post it is time to draw inspiration from some of the great artists of all time like:
And invest in the beautiful ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting and that is:
1. Understand the “Wonders of Copywriting” (essentially the power of words)
2. Have a “Passion for Copywriting” (essentially that your work is effortless)
3. Believe “You are the Authority” (essentially that you are the go-to copywriter).
Because it only when you fully understand these 3 factors (that make up the ‘80% Art’ of Copywriting that)…
You can take your Copywriting to the very highest level!
Do you agree or disagree that Copywriting is 80% Art and 20% Science? Would love to hear from you in the comments – any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Want to Talk Copywriting or SEO?
Please contact me and let’s have a chat!