Embrace the Symmetry of 3’s in Copywriting and Win
The symmetry of 3’s in copywriting allows you to break down information overload, focus on the big picture and simplify any copywriting task.
In this post we will discuss:
- What is symmetry in copywriting anyway?
- What is the symmetry of 3’s in copywriting?
- What benefits the symmetry of 3’s can bring to your copywriting?
But first take a deep breath, open your mind, and get ready to embrace the symmetry of 3’s in copywriting and win!
1. What is Symmetry in Copywriting Anyway?
No, we are not talking about symmetry in mathematics (a type of invariance).
It’s time to think ‘subjective’ because symmetry in copywriting is an ‘art.’
And as we discussed in top blog post – copywriting is 80% art.
Is the result of ‘symmetry’ in copywriting.
- Spot on
- Just Right
- You nailed it
- You hit a homer
- You smashed it out of the park.
Are all examples of different human interpretations of what can only be described as the ‘holy grail’ of copywriting, and that is symmetry.
But what is it exactly?
Again (this is not science) but ‘art’ – therefore it’s subjective and open to interpretation by any reader.
However – let’s give some examples of symmetry in copywriting and literally the sky is the limit (but we’ll try not to bore you!).
It could be a copywriter’s ability to consistently:
- Write short 2-3 line ‘paragraphs’ (using the beauty of spacing)
- Write with tremendous ‘flow’ (building serious momentum)
- Write in a ‘way’ (that is understandable to all)
- Deliver killer headlines (that capture the target audience)
- Deliver intros, bodies and conclusions (that force anyone to read)
- Deliver solutions to all reader problems (forcing them to take action)
- Prepare well (having done the right research)
- Execute (with the right strategy)
- Fine tune (any content piece).
Maybe it’s the:
- Multimedia used
- Word usage
- Sentence structure
- Examples used
- Ability to Inspire
- The connection.
Because whatever it is (and yes, we told you this was art – subjective in all its glory) the result of symmetry in copywriting is to:
The target audience to take some form of action.
And that action is not always ‘now’- it could be anytime in the future.
Is what you build with your target audience when you master the ‘art’ of symmetry in copywriting, and that is key to winning copy that your users and Google loves – hello high rankings!
2. What is the Symmetry of 3’s in Copywriting?
You take your copywriting problem (no matter the size) and:
- Simplify (from the highest level)
- Then simplify again (from a high level)
- Simplify your copywriting task (one last time) by breaking it down into 3 core areas.
It works because it’s:
1. Simple (we can all count to 3)
2. Effective (not too much or too little)
3. Gets results.
Even write it down – because did you know (as reported by the BBC) that your brain benefits from pen and paper?
And don’t sweat if you cannot ‘initially’ break your copywriting task into 3 core areas.
3 = the ideal state (where you want to get to) to simplify.
Therefore, a list of 5, 7 or 10 core areas is ‘easily’ and ‘quickly’ condensed into 3 through:
- Focusing on what matters = the big picture!
Whatever the ‘copy type’ and ‘job size’ simplify the task into 3 core areas and then try again – not necessarily 3 times – but until you’ve slowly mastered the art.
And then ask yourself this: Does the problem seem simpler now to solve?
And if the answer is ‘yes’, then try applying it your copy (again from the highest level) and not getting OCD about it, in a micromanaging (and obsessive) way, where you do all your copy in 3’s (something this blog post is not trying to do!).
Because the ‘magic of 3’ is that it’s a number that is:
- Not too high
- Not too low (to state the obvious).
Human nature is to complicate (as we are driven by emotions) and the ‘symmetry of 3’s’ uncomplicates with beautiful simplicity (something we all need in our life!).
And the evidence?
Scour the net and you will not find much but:
- Works (3 words).
- Sit down ‘partner’ (you say to your misbehaving partner – 3 words)
- Sit down ‘Samantha’ (you say to your 4-year-old daughter – again 3 words)
- Sit down ‘Milo’ (you say to your disobedient pet dog – again 3 words).
And again 3 (is not too high and not too low) – forcing you to go to the biggest picture (as explained earlier).
Do I have a degree in psychology – no!
But do I believe in the symmetry of 3’s? 100%.
And the only way to find out for yourself is to give it a try on your next copywriting project.
3. What Benefits the Symmetry of 3’s Can Bring to Your Copywriting?
The number 1 benefit the ‘symmetry of 3’s’ can bring to your copy, is that by simplifying the problem, you get to the solution quicker.
More solutions = more problems solved = key to winning copy.
As discussed earlier (in this blog post) it makes you focus on what matters (without overcomplication) and this means:
- You can save time as a copywriter (time being so precious)
- You can make a start quicker as a copywriter (nothing beats starting)
- You can get the result quicker as a copywriter (the whole point).
Note: As discussed (in this blog post), copywriting is 80% art, and therefore even if you feel skeptical about the symmetry of 3’s, the 20% science of copywriting (experience, skills and expertise for example) can only get you so far!
You need ‘instinct’ (as we discussed in the 3 golden keys to success in copywriting) to take your copywriting to the next level.
Another ‘benefit’ is mental.
Because mastering your ‘mental game’ (like life) is half the battle in copywriting.
The ‘symmetry of 3’s’ helps you mentally, by giving you a:
- Clear roadmap
- Working compass
That triggers (deep within your brain), and for every copywriting job you do, that this is a ‘clear process.’
And because you are following a ‘clear process’ your brain says this is easy and not hard!
1. Being present (ignoring the past and focusing on future)
2. Trusting your talent (absolute key)
3. Not beating yourself up (all the time)
4. Being positive (whenever possible)
5. Belief (the ultimate)
6. Being yourself (we all have to)
7. Overcoming fear of failure (the enemy)
8. Having the highest standards (to elevate yourself to the next level)
9. Being patient (not always forcing action)
10. Surrounding yourself with people that believe in you (coach, partner or whoever)
Are 10 tips to improve your mental toughness (expanded upon here) and the ‘symmetry of 3’s’ helps in mastering these ten tips.
English editor and biographer George Earle Buckle once said: “To simplify complications is the first essential of success.”
And ‘simplifying’ is the premise behind the ‘symmetry of 3’s’ that breaks down any copywriting task into 3 core areas for best results.
So if you’re lacking direction, then why not embrace beautiful simplicity that leads to effective results?
Because the results might surprise you!
Over to You…
Are you ready to Embrace the ‘Symmetry of 3’s’ in Copywriting and Win? Or is there something missing, or you would like to add to this post?? Would love to hear from you in the comments – any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Want to Talk Copywriting or SEO?
Please contact me and let’s have a chat!